At some point in our lives, most of us wind up with a cavity. In most cases, a cavity calls for your dentist to remove the decay and to fill in the tooth area that was removed.
There have been a number of advances in the field over the past few years. Composite resin dental fillings were created as an alternative to traditional metal dental fillings. They are colored to look like a natural tooth and are made of a plastic dental resin. This resin is strong, durable and makes for a very natural looking smile.
Mercury fillings or amalgam fillings can easily be removed and replaced with the far more attractive composite fillings. Composite fillings provide many other advantages over Mercury fillings or amalgam fillings, like:
• The composite resin bonds to further support the remaining tooth structure.
• Helps prevent breakage and damage to your tooth.
• Resin fillings last about six to twelve years or more, and the procedure usually takes just one visit to your dentist.
• There is very little sensitivity to hot or cold items often experienced with amalgam fillings.
• Your dentist won’t need to drill away as much of the tooth structure as with amalgam fillings.